Friday, January 12, 2007

The Power of Visual Media

























These are photographs by the Iranian born artist Shirin Neshat. There was a time when I was pre-occupied with what was happening in the contemporary art world, now the closest I get to it is colouring in with my kids! I struggled for a long time with trying to understand the traditional Islamic restrictions on representation of human and animal forms. I'm still not sure how I feel, I still don't put photos up in my house for fear that the mala'ikkah won't enter! Having always loved the visual arts however, I respond to the power of visual media and I can recognize the potential that images have to convey a message. I really feel that this is an underexplored area by Muslims. Why don't we use art and literature to convey information about our religion? It doesn't necessarily have to be figurative.

Shirin Neshat approaches things from a secular perspective, this is not what I have in mind, but I do think that she is investigating issues in Iranian life that need to be addressed. I feel uncomfortable with her approach sometimes, her depiction of the naked female form crosses the boundaries of Islamic modesty I think, but she does not in any way claim to be a "Muslim" artist. I would like to see a positive approach by Muslim artists, a means of showing balance in Muslim perspectives. Dawah doesn't always have to come from our mouths. There is always a place for the Shirin Neshats of this world but it would be good to see depiction of Muslim lives that were not so bleak or frightening (although the Women of Allah series as pictured above is a bit more ambiguous than some of her other work.

If you are interested in her work, just google her name, there is so much available on the net.

7 comments:

al-maraya said...

Mash'Allah, sister, we are thinking so very much alike!

I'm preparing the syllabus for a Comparative Literature class and since I find a linear structure boring, I always organize the readings into thematic blocks made up of pieces from various time periods and cultures. I plan to start the semester off with a unit on readings about war and will commence with Naguib Mahfouz's controversial novel, Awlad Haretna (Children of Gebelaawi or The Children of the Alley -- depending on the translator). Sadly, this book nearly cost Mahfouz his life thanks to the now infamous blind sheikh Omar Abdul Rahman and his inability to understand allegory. Anyway, I had a conversation with my husband about my decision to include the book on my reading list and planned to blog about that discussion this morning.

Insh'Allah, when my mind is a bit more alert (it's approaching 4 am in my part of the world), the first cup of coffee for the day is gone, and fajr has been completed, I plan to blog on the issue from a literary perspective.

Unknown said...

Dear Sisters..
A very interesting discussion. I would like to introduce you to my work, which is currently on view at Ceres gallery, in Chelsea, NYC. If you are in the area, please try to come. It is uo till Jan 27th. Also, please check out the website for other events that are happening at the gallery.
As an artits, I had always been uncomfortable by the perspectives presented by most muslim Artists. I agree with you that those are some realities, but there are many others, which are more positive, that need to be heard, My latest work on show is an effort to do just that, move beyond the controversies.
The show 'Liberated' is an exciting acrylics and mixed media interplay of popular icons and the 'hijab' (the head scarf adorned by Muslim women), highlighting the role of individual practices in the shaping of a unique national identity. The work includes personal involvement of more than a hundred Muslim women across America.
As an artist, my concerns have always been my immediate environment, especially the cities I've lived in. 'Liberated' juxtaposes my fascination with New York City life and my experience with the self empowering identity of American Muslim women.

Show Dates: January 2 -- January 27, 2007
Location: The Ceres Gallery, 547 West 27th Street, New York, NY 10001
Gallery Hours: Tuesday - Saturday 12- 6 (no fee)

Hope I can make a difference

JazakAllah Khair

Asma Shikoh
www.asmashikoh.com

JamilaLighthouse said...

Assalamu Alaikoum,
Al-Maraya, I'd love to be in your class! i have only read one novel by Mahfouz called 'The Harafish'.I'm afraid that I somewhat restricted my reading material when I was experiencing 'convertitis'!

Asma, thank you so much for letting us know about your exhibition, unfortunately i am thousands of kilometres away, but i looked up your website and found your work really interesting. Inshaallah the exhibition will go well for you. i'm inspired by seeing you exhibiting in a mainstream gallery in New York, i haven't seen anything like this being done by Muslims in my city. Perhaps i need to dust off my paintbrush and turn the garage into a studio!
What you said about moving beyond the controversies is exactly what i've been thinking about. I'd like to produce work that is expressive of the beauty of Islamic Spirituality, to show what the faith really is to people who would normally not have any exposure to it.

al-maraya said...

Asalamu alaikum, sister. Alhamdullilah, I was finally able to finish the post I mentioned earlier. It's been a tough couple of days thanks to stress and seizures, so I've been pretty much down for the count since Friday. I read the last post that you had up earlier and really wanted to respond but desperately wanted to finish my own post before another seizure came along and didn't get a chance to before you deleted it.

You're very good writer, and I love how you inspire me to think! Insh'allah, your confidence will grow to the point that you will not feel the need to remove such thought-provoking posts. :)

JamilaLighthouse said...

Wa alaikoum salam wa rahmatullah wa barakatahu, inshaAllah you are feeling better, it must be very difficult to cope with the seizures.

yes i lack confidence! i've always been a perfectionist and i very much doubt my ability to write, I'm a much better artist! (i can say that because you can't see my work!) Although I used to drive my lecturers crazy by destroying my work, so i guess it's no surprise that I'm a blog deleter!

But my need to communicate with others who have similiar interests exceeds my fear of exposing my bad writing, so i go on!

al-maraya said...

Sister, I know just what you mean, trust me! Before the seizures began, writing came so easy to me; now it is a real struggle. My thoughts get jumbled easily, and I find myself composing in fits and starts. It's especially difficult for me to expose myself to criticism considering my career, but I keep on anyway.

lufarah said...

Assalamualaikum.

Perhaps much of the islamic contemporary art does not reach the rest of the world as it should.
I am a contemporary islamic art curator in the arabian gulf, and i can assure you that artists in the region are making sure to express themselves visually!