Thursday, January 11, 2007

Complacency and Shooting our Sisters in the Back

Something has been bothering me for a long time. Something that appears to be a growing problem amongst Muslims in the West. Something that I may have even been guilty of myself. A friend of mine refers to the zeal and conservatism with which some new Muslims approach their faith as 'convertitis'! From my observation it is not only converts who suffer from this, many born Muslims who start seeking more understanding of their religion also develop symptoms of this unfortunate disease. And whilst it may be vaguely humorous to observe from the sidelines, I fear that it has sinister undertones that have the potential to affect womens lives negatively in a global sense. That is, through the inaction of women of privelege and their blind acceptance of laws supposedly 'Islamic' (because of course they are in a position where they will never be affected by such laws directly) they allow their sisters in dire circumstances across the Muslim world to suffer without help. And if I take it a step further, their complacency actually helps condemn such subjugated women, because even quiet acceptance perpetuates the idea that these laws, institutions and customs are "right".

It really sickens me that so many of our sisters are prepared to let this happen, sickens me that there have been times when I myself haven't spoken out against issues that are blatantly unjust (although sometimes I think shock acts as a silencer...I don't speak immediately, I have to gather my thoughts...could such a person be really advocating such a position?). Al-Maraya has again written a really interesting post about standing up to oppression. The thing that I notice most about Muslim complacency is how it is dictated by fear. It is not a fierce fear, like that of someone who is in the firing line, but a more detached quiet fear, 'what if they call me an unbeliever?' and this I think is why converts fall prey to accepting and promoting an Islam that is black and white with no room for discussion. They are always being pushed to prove themselves as exemplary Muslims.

I have been in classes full of women (even led by a Sister whom I really love and respect) where it has been said that there can be no concept of rape in marriage in Islam. And no one says anything, there is just vague questioning and then blind acceptance, because no Muslim man worth his salt would do that anyway. What about those that do? If you were living in a Muslim country and you were in a terribly abusive relationship, wouldn't you want some means of seeking justice? Would you be content with someone saying 'don't worry, you will find justice in the Akhira inshaAllah?

Women in the West talk about "oppression" because someone tugs at their hijab in the supermarket, women in the West go out of their way to explain how things such as Female Genital Mutilation and Honour Killing are not "Islamic" without actually discussing the issue of how to confront these problems when they are being practised by people who feel very much that they ARE part of the religion. It's just all too easy to go home to our comfortable homes and families and leave our sisters all over the world to their plight.

It's not surprising therefore that women in the West feel comfortable with their conservatism because it makes them look like good little Muslimahs because they have nothing to lose whilst women in countries such as Iran and Pakistan are losing their lives whilst fighting for their 'rights". Are these women lacking in religious knowledge or spirituality as is often suggested? I don't think so, they are simply dealing with the realities of their lives, fight or drown.

We have to wake up, we have to do more than discuss these things and shake our heads. But how do we start? Suggestions please.

10 comments:

UmmBadier said...

Uff. I have NO suggestions only more annoyance. A sister recently made some weird comment to me that the Muslims in Palestine are getting what they deserve because they don't practice right...okay, inshallah I really misconstrued what she said. But this IS the attitude we see from many con/reverts...We are practising and they are just muslim in name. What's that derorgatory name...urr...for deviants? Hizbees? Anyhoo. I do feel that I should somehow be in service to the ummah and my sisters especially. Though I haven't figured out where or how.Alhumdiallah, I am a very blessed sister in that my lifestyle is relatively easy. I have access to knowledge so readily available to me and I am not oppressed in anyway by anyone other than my own nafs, astagfirallah...The least I feel I ought to do is raise some very well educated little men (and 1 girl too, alhumdiallah!), inshallah.

JamilaLighthouse said...

Assalamu alaikoum! I'm very happy to have a visit from you again! Yes, raising our kids to not be like this is a start.

Rain said...

Here, here, sista!! I think I, too, need to blog about that today.

al-maraya said...

Mashallah, what a fantanstic post sister! I agree with Ummbadier that raising children to think and behave differently is a start.

You mentioned that fear of being branded a kafir (unbeliever) may be "why converts fall prey to accepting and promoting an Islam that is black and white with no room for discussion." My own experience has been the exact opposite in that those who fail to see the gray areas in Islam are those Muslims raised in places where challenging authority is not the norm. I have been called a kafir for questioning things as they were presented to me that made absolutely no sense and one of those issues is rape.

How do we bring about a change? I truly wish that I had an answer for that one. This is a topic that deserves continued thought and discussion. Like Arnold, I'll be back. . . insh'allah. :)

JamilaLighthouse said...

Assalamu Alaikoum,
Rain, i'lll come and visit, i love this cross-blogging!
Al-Maraya,
you said
My own experience has been the exact opposite in that those who fail to see the gray areas in Islam are those Muslims raised in places where challenging authority is not the norm.
I agree with you , but this is part of the reason for my post. It's excusable if you have been brought up this way, but those of us who have been taught to question have no excuse, it's just wilfull ignorance...but unfortunately i see lots of people just shutting their eyes and ears and i think it's because they can, they are not affected negatively in any way by what they are espousing.

JamilaLighthouse said...

sorry i published before i finished....my observation in some circles is that a lot of time is spent bickering over things that are not majorly important such as 'are all types of music haram?' but if something like rape is brought up, the shutters come down pretty quickly.
The problem is that as converts if we do question, it is as if we are bringing all the negative baggage associated with the West with us and thus we are seen as dangerous to the very fabric of Islam for doing so.

Musleema said...

Ummbadier, you know I've heard that same type of crap. And that's what it is. Crap. I know one sister was saying that many times reverts (and jamila is right, born Muslims go through it too) get caught in a trance. They become cultist. All hail king "insert which ever most popular daiee or shayk name you want". What ever he says, there is to be no debate about it, while our God given aql is supposed to be thrown to the wind.

And Jamila, I think sisters can be the worst. I've never seen such harshness and evil from anyone like I have from Muslim women who have been tricked by shaytan into foolishing believing they already have their jannah ticket. They're scope of Islam is confined to their only area, they're deening and righteous by wearing a niqab and being a third wife. Their sisters in Sheeshan or Filasteen??? Who cares about their plight. Like Ummbadier said, their not on it anyway.

I think it was during the Katrina hurricane that I heard a Muslim make dua that Allah protect the salafees who lived in New Orleans and that is people's attitude. If they don't believe as me completely, who cares about them. wa iyadubillah for such ignorance and lack of mercy.

JamilaLighthouse said...

Salams Sister,
you are right, it is cultist sometimes, it's actually quite frightening, i guess all religions experience this as a problem at some point.
And yes, sisters can be the worst to each other. i was once listening to a radio program about women in jail in Afghanistan for supposed 'crimes of honour', i disagreed with most of the sentiments of the interviewer because she was unable to distinguish between Islam and the cultural practices and attitudes that were harming the women there. But she made a really valid point. She said that some women are very quick to denounce others, especially in regard to their rightousness, because it makes themselves pious and pure in comparison. They like to play, the 'good woman'. This is treachery as far as i'm concerned. Allah sees what's in their hearts.

Khala Aishah said...

Sometimes the most powerful things we can do in these circumstances occurs in our homes under the darkness of night, before fajr: supplication after the Qiyamul Lail. As well, Allah answers the dua' of the oppressed, even if he is a disbelieving kaffir. As well, making dua for the oppressor can be more effective, because it affects all of the people of his land. This is more powerful than what we can do with our own hands. As well, our sins affect the entire ummah. So we if as women stop sinning and seek refuge in Allah than our obedience is a remedy. Also, one of the conditions of La Ilah Illah is ilm (knowledge) and knowing your lord negates ignorance - so studying this deen and passing it on to our muslim sisters helps to empower them against innovation and deviation. For Allah is the most JUST!

JamilaLighthouse said...

Salam alaykoum Sister, yes, you are right It is Allah swt who is the Most Powerful after all, not us. But it is important to combat injustice when we see it also, but acknowledging that any effect we may have occurs only through Allahs will.