Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Identity Fraud and Cultural Crisis?

When I was four years old, my mother read me a very popular English children's story. Apparently, I identified with the main character so much I decided I wanted to change my name to her name. For one month I refused to answer to my name, eventually my mother gave in and started using the name I liked, thinking that it was just a phase and that it wouldn't last. She was wrong, I was called this name throughout Primary School. When I changed schools at the age of ten, I decided it was time to finally revert to my name, it being more mature, I thought!

When I first became a Muslim, I was told that I had to change my name to a "Muslim" one. I had done my own reading however, and I knew that this wasn't the case. We are only required to change our name if it means something bad. Never a person to do things by halves however, I was drawn to the idea of changing my name, I wanted to do something special to celebrate becoming a Muslim. I WAS exploring a new identity, this didn't mean an erasure of my old self but it did mean a distancing from my old lifestyle. I already understood the power of a name change, the possibilities of it's psychological impact. When I said my Shahada, inshaAllah the excesses of my old life were forgiven. Tabula Rasa. I wanted to commemorate this new beginning. I chose the name of a very strong woman and hoped that it would be an inspiration for me to live up to her example. It is not an Arabic name, but it is definitely 'Muslim'.

I was reading Al-Marayas recent post at http://bidayahwanihayah.blogspot.com/// where she discusses how many western converts to Islam who have married Arab men adopt many things from Arab culture, often not distinguishing between culture and religion. As a convert who on the surface appears to have done some of these things, I feel the need to respond as it is not always as superficial or ignorant as it seems.

I have always been interested in cultures other than my own. For my eighth birthday I asked my mother to buy me a kimono and take me to a Japanese restaraunt. I didn't get the kimono but we did go out to the restaurant and I still remember my horror when I found out that the dish I ordered contained raw egg! In a recent post I mocked this fascination with the 'other' that I have because I realise that there is much more to understanding a culture than appropriating it's dress or sampling it's cuisine. That being said, what is wrong with experimenting with things from outside your own cultural perspective? As long as you realise that that is what you are doing and you don't see yourself as some kind of Laurence of Arabia, then what is the problem?

Perhaps ignorance. From converts and their in-laws alike. I recently bit my brother-in-laws head off because he told me it is haram to take my three week old son outside..I was fed up because it was just the last of a list of 'harams' that I had been instructed about from various people. My anger was partly due to my misunderstanding of their use of the word 'haram' and partly because I'm tired of how ethnocentric they are. Apparently, neither my son or myself are supposed to leave the house for forty days after the birth. I said that as far as I knew this was culture and not Islam and he just looked at me blankly. The expectation is that I should adopt the practice regardless simply because I am married to an Arab man. I think the problem here is that they are so patriarchal that it is inconceivable to them that a woman might actually have an identity of her own that she is quite happy to keep. And perhaps some women don't realise this themselves because they are so ready to please their Arabian princes!

I am Australian, dressing in Abayat and cooking kibbeh is not going to make me Lebanese nor is it going to make me a better Muslim. But I think that as long as I acknowledge these facts then it is fine to do so. I wear Abayat sometimes because they are comfortable and practical. I make kibbeh and mehshi (albeit very badly!) because I love my husband and he loves the food of his country. But we also eat Indian, Indonesian, Japanese(but no raw egg!), we don't eat much English food. Why? Because it is bland and boring and I have never liked it very much. Should I start eating it now because I have to adhere to my Australian Muslim identity? I do think that you make a lot of valid points in your post, Al-Maraya, so please don't think that my sarcasm is directed at you.

Here in Australia, there seem to be two camps, those who are out to prove their Australian-ness and how it is compatible with Islam and those who have a very literal interpretation of the religion and therefore have trouble distinguishing between the culture of seventh century Arabia and Islam. Personally, I think that both are too rigid in their approach. One of the things that I love about Australia is it's multicultural-ness. I understand Islam as being open to culture as long as it doesn't transgress Islamic principles. This includes dress. This is of course the argument for wearing Western dress and it is one that I agree with in part, but does being a Westerner mean that you can only wear Western clothes? Does it really matter if one day I wear a suit and the next I wear a Jalabiyyah?

I agree with much of what you have said in your post, but I just wanted to point out that whilst Khadija (once Katherine) may ignorantly adopt her husbands culture mistaking it for Islam, Aisha (once Agnes) may simply be taking bits of Arab culture that she likes and enjoying them for a while. Dawah is important but do we have to continually prove ourselves as being both 'oh so western and oh so muslim'?! Does the political climate that we are living in mean that we have to streamline ourselves into being the perfect Western Muslims? This is not what you are suggesting in your post, I know, but it is the impression I get from many Muslims here. The irony is that if I were to adopt mainstream Aussie culture now, it really would be a case of identity fraud because as I said on another post, I have never been a 'chuck another prawn on the barbie' kind of woman...gimme the kafta any day!


8 comments:

Rain said...

I have been thinking about this, myself... and you articulated my nascent thoughts very well. (thx, btw) I have always found myself able to blend in to whatever culture I find myself in, but that doesn't mean that I want to abandon my own. Just means I'm flexible and willing to try new things, maybe adopt them, maybe not. Thats what Americans have always done (and should continue doing).

JamilaLighthouse said...

i feel the same way about Australians...sometimes i wonder what our culture really is anyway...we are very young...only the indiginous people here can really lay a claim to the land. My roots are Scottish, perhaps i should get a kiltbab or a tartan abaya!

Musleema said...

Assalamualaikum Jamila!! Nice new blog! I feel like starting a new one myself. Fresh start maybe. We'll see. Any way, this was a great post. I'm not a revert to Islam. But I am married to an Arab man. I dislike when people think its okay to judge my actions by my husband. Like my niqab. I was wearing it for a long time before him, he absolutely nothing to do with the thought process that went into adopting it for myself. But when people/ arab women especially meet me that first thing they usually ask is if I'm wearing it for him! Subhannallah, like I'm not able to make ibadah to Allah without him directing me....anyhoo, I digress. This was a great post.

PM said...

Salaam Alaikum Sister,

The issue is not one of being culturally inflexible. I, too, have always been interested in other cultures and have been blessed to be able to travel widely and even live in a different culture from the one of my birth. No one is advocating taking away your freedom to choose.

The fundamental issue in this whole discussion is really more about culture vs. religion. Unfortunately "born Muslims" are the least likely to be able to critically assess this issue and understand where religion ends and other cultural aspects begin. This is in part, I think, due to the fact that the traditional ways of interpretting and practicing Islam have discouraged critical thinking. Thus, Muslims have most often been told that certain things simply must be accepted as Islamically mandated. Having been married to both a Gulf Arab and an Afghani Muslim, I have seen firsthand the huge gap in culturally based Islam.

Salaam Alaikum,
PM

JamilaLighthouse said...

Assalamu alaikoum,
Musleema, inshaAllah you are adjusting well to your new home. I'm happy to see you at my new blog!

PM, I know the discussions about culture versus religion and i agree with much of what has been said by you and Al-Maraya but i just wanted to write about how i feel about adopting some things from my husbands culture just to show that it's not always done out of ignorance or trying to be the
perfect arab wife(i'll never manage that one!)...

JamilaLighthouse said...

and Pm, i really agree about critical thinking being discouraged, this is something that we really need to address as a community, otherwise we will stagnate forever. It really infuriates me because we were once such a vibrant civilization.

al-maraya said...

Chuck another prawn on the barbie, LOL! Haven't heard that phrase for quite some time. :)

I used to think that some alien life-force mistakenly dropped me off with the wrong family, and still joke about it every now and again, because I've always been so very different from everyone else in my family. Where my siblings were more of the baseball and Barbie types, I was the one with her nose stuck in a book, dreaming of studying archaeology one day, and hanging out with friends whose cultures and religious backgrounds were vastly different from her own.

My father used to swear that I had "foreigner" tattooed in invisible ink on my forehead because, as he said, "they" always seemed to find me no matter where I went. What he couldn't understand is that my sympathetic nature and open mind made it easy for me to befriend the "other." I can say, in all honesty, that in my nearly 48 years, I have had only one all-American friend and that my closest childhood friends came from Ireland, Holland, Indonesia, Jordan, Brazil, and Greece. We were Catholic, Muslim, Mormon, and Greek Orthodox, but our religions never got in the way of us getting along with or understanding one another. And as much as their cultures fascinated me, I never wanted to be just like them; I was always satisfied to the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. So-and-So, raised in middle-class American suburbia.

Perhaps my confusion comes from the fact that I seek to distinguish religion from culture and all too often Arabs don't. Allahualim.

JamilaLighthouse said...

Salams Sister Al-Maraya,
do you have confusion?! it doesn't come across, your post was very coherent and definite!

I grew up in the opposite environment from you, a totally anglo-saxon one and this probably encouraged me to have an interest in the outside world (not that you didn't obviously!).

At my School, out of four-hundred girls , there were two Asian students, everyone else was white and English speaking.

As much as we may have an interest in cultures other than our own, we can only ever be ourselves and we cannot really know what it is to be from elsewhere. I guess I was just trying to say that this interest in others and sampling of culture doesn;t necessarily mean you are trying to form a completely new identity set outside your own cultural environment. This is impossible and anyone who tried to do so would be fooling themselves.